Oral Health in Seattle: Habits To Keep You Smiling
In today’s post, we will concentrate on important behaviors that influence oral health in Seattle. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two essential habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are dangerous to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. It really can chip teeth.
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are dangerous to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It makes more sense to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, speak with dentist McKay about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your kids fluoride supplements to improve their oral health in Seattle.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help right away. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth.
We urge all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that encourages oral health in Seattle as well as overall physical health. At Advanced Cosmetic & Laser Dentistry, we serve the Seattle area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about sedation dentistry, dental implants, and teeth whitening.