5 Critical Things To Know About Periodontal Disease
Gum disease is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, gum disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at Advanced Cosmetic Implant & Laser Dentistry in Seattle.
Gum disease, known formally as periodontial disease, is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having regular dental exams are the best way to prevent gum disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Gum disease may be one of the best examples of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at Advanced Cosmetic Implant & Laser Dentistry in Seattle, you can prevent gum disease. People from Bellevue, Kirkland, and Redmond come to our practice for complete general dentistry. Call to schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact Advanced Cosmetic & Laser Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):